Tuesday, September 29, 2009

where we're heading next

hello again!

after flipping through guidebooks and speaking with a friendly woman at the DOC office, we've figured out where we're headed next. we'll be bypassing the rest of the north island for now, opting instead to hike the queen charlotte track and generally bum around the marlborough sounds for about a week. on thursday, we'll take the nakedbus (like the megabus - just $25/person!) down to wellington, where we'll spend the night before hopping on the cook strait ferry that will transport us to picton, at the top of the north island. in picton we'll arrange water transport to the start of the 4-day track and make any final arrangements that we need. today we bought a backcountry hut pass that will let us stay in most DOC huts for free, so the lodging costs once we get to the sounds will be minimal. this will certainly be a change from the last few weeks of hiking, as we'll now have plenty of huts and campsites to choose from and virtually no road walking. hooray!

after we've exhausted our interest in the sounds, the tentative plan is to head west to the town of nelson and maybe hit up the ever-popular abel tasman national park or the more quiet kahurangi national park. we have some options. don't be jealous!

-rachel and bryan

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I just caught up with your adveture since early september, and I love reading your blogs!!! I'm just glad you are an excellent communicator and I always look forward to reading these.

    The new season of "How I met your Mother" started last week, and everytime we see Marshal and Lilly we think of the two of you.

    We love you guys and we continue praying for your safety and your adventure!

    The Sykes'

    ReplyDelete
  2. R&B,
    Sounds like a great plan. BTW, Rachel, here's where you stayed when you were last in Picton: Aldan Lodge Motel (www.aldanlodge.co.nz).
    Dad D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on safely arriving in Auckland! I am loving your updates, but miss you! It's beginning to feel autumnal around here, with a low temp tonight in the 30s or 40s. Can't wait to hear about the next leg of the journey!

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel (and Brian),

    Check your email (which Dale is about to give me). I have a plethora of family in the Picton/Blenheim area so I'll give you some names and ph. no's in case you are inclined to spea to anyone (no pressure, I am not all that close to them!).

    Andrew S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel and Bryan!
    Well...I am jealous, but still glad that you have options! It sounds like everything is going well. We're thinking about you A LOT!

    Stacy Schnaare

    ReplyDelete
  6. RW and B,
    I hope you're having a great time in the sounds. FYI, I had a 10-mile hike with 30lb pack today. I'm getting there!
    Dad D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I wish you could be here for the Twins tiebreaker game. Though if I had the choice I would be enjoying the south island as well. Take care you two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you guys are all so fantastic; we're so glad to hear from you!

    Chris and Daniela - we took a picture of a street sign (Sykes St/Ave) somewhere just north of Auckland that made us think of you guys. we'll send it to you so that you can print it up in a massive size and use it as wall art or something. :)

    ReplyDelete