Sunday, August 29, 2010

urban tramping

This week I've been picking up some hours working at an after-school program with Outaskool, the organization that I worked for during the school holidays a few months ago. I'm glad for the 15 or so hours of employment, but in order to avoid spending a large chunk of my miniscule paycheck on transportation, I've been walking to and from the school each day, which is just over 2 miles from the church or 3 miles if I'm leaving from our home. On Friday I decided to try jogging home, but quickly found that the 30ish miles of walking during the week had rendered my muscles completely uncapable of any extraordinary feats, a category to which running clearly belonged. During this attempted jog I also incorrectly judged the curvature of the river that I had been following to my next turn-off and was surprised to pop out east of The Palms Mall when I had planned to remain on its southwest side for my entire home journey.

I gave up and took the bus home instead, having been taken under the wing of a British man who had emigrated here 20 years prior and assumed from my accent (and the backpack I was jogging with) that I would be in need of assistance on the public transportation system. This wasn't quite the case, but I'm realizing that I will be pegged as a tourist no matter how long I'm here, and am trying to reconcile myself to this truth.

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment