Friday, February 19, 2010

proof that being cheap isn't always cheaper.

disclaimer: those of you who value oral hygiene may wish to skip this one.

i'll be honest - i've never been very keen on flossing, so dental floss was one item that didn't make it into our packs when we left for new zealand. much too cumbersome. but a week or two ago i decided to make good on some new year's resolutions and, being too cheap to spend $6 on dental floss, chose instead to use the thread that was stored in our repair kit. it was a bit dusty from our months in the wilderness, so i gave it a good rinse and used it anyway. bad idea.

earlier this week i began experiencing a pain on the left side of my mouth which escalated until i could no longer sleep through the night. though i'm usually the last person to voluntarily visit the dentist, i scheduled an appointment for the first slot available as we were running out of the ice and pain reliever that i had been relying on. at 4 am as i lay awake with a lukewarm icepack on my face i realized that i was actually looking forward to my visit to the clinic as it potentially meant some relief and the ability to chew my food instead of slurping it through the small opening that my jaw now permitted.

it took the dentist no more than 5 minutes to evaluate my condition, write me a prescription, and usher me towards the credit card machine. i have, as suspected, an infected wisdom tooth that will eventually need removing. fantastic.

saved:
$6 dental floss

spent:
$40 dental evaluation
$29 antibiotics and painkillers
$70 x-rays
$? extraction of tooth
$6 dental floss

proof that being cheap isn't always cheaper.

-rachel

4 comments:

  1. I hate to give you more bad news, but in the States, the extraction of a wisdom tooth is around $500. All four cost me $2000 with insurance (and that was ten years ago!). Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting your wisdom teeth removed before leaving your parents' insurance...priceless.

    Thanks Mom & Dad :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that picture. 3P! Or 'poor pitiful pearl'.
    I hope you're better now.
    Aunt CB

    ReplyDelete